Background

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Forgiveness

The other day God put the idea of forgiveness on my heart. First when I was listening to a Joyce Meyer podcast while I exercised. When I finished my exercise I came in to read my emails and the daily devotional from Proverbs 31 Ministry was also about forgiveness. This came at a time when a lot of harsh childhood and teenage memories had been flooding back into my mind. This made it very easy for me to quickly make a mental note of all the people who had “done me wrong”. So I took Joyce Meyer’s suggestion and prayed for God to show me who I need to work on forgiving first. Guess whose face came to my heart…..My own.

It took me a while to process this. But once I did I realized that no matter what anyone else had “done” to me. I had not leaned on God for support but rather I let it give me a victim mentality which allowed me to become bitter, self hating and doubting myself in every step. This was a choice I made, so before I could forgive anyone else I must learn to forgive myself. I was so excited to learn this, because even though I am a much happier person that that teenager I was years ago. I still carry quite a bit of baggage of the past.

This leads me to my first personal study: Forgiveness

Merriam-Webster.com defines Forgive as 1. To give up resentment of or claim to requital for 2. To grant relief from payment 3. To cease to feel resentment against (an offender)

Nelson’s New Illustrated Bible Dictionary defines forgiveness as – the act of excusing or pardoning others in spite of their slights, shortcomings, and errors. As a theological term, forgiveness refers to God’s pardon of the sins of human beings.


Dear Lord, thank you for showing me the need to forgive myself and others as You have forgiven me. I look forward to growing in my faith knowing you will impart to me in this study what you want me to learn. – Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Paula,

    I love your blog! I look forward to your insight and comments on life. love and your walk with Jesus. You know - there is nothing in our life we can do without Him. Even through times of struggle and uncertainty I know that it is He who guides me back on the path I belong. It is my weakness and fears which allow me to veer of the right path - and my belief in Him that keeps me same.

    ReplyDelete