Background

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Forgiveness 2nd Chronicles 7:14

“and My people who are called by My name humble themselves, pray and seek My face, and turn from their evil ways, then I will hear from heaven, forgive their sin, and heal their land”. 2nd Chronicles 7:14

This is specific direction on how Christians can seek forgiveness from the Lord. We all face difficult times, they may be caused by forces beyond our control or they may be of our own doing. Here God gives us a specific plan of action.

(1) Humble (themselves): a; Meek or Modest, b; deferentially respectful, c; Low rank or station.

The first thing we have to remember is that God is in control. If changes need to be made in our lives we must start with Him. We must remember God created us and we are only strong through Him.

“….God resists the proud, but gives grace to the Humble” James 4:6

(2) Pray: Communication with God

There are many words written on how to pray, I think the most important thing is to just do it. I believe setting time aside for prayer is important, but I think we need to talk to God any time the need arises and for me it is through out my day. Paul tells us in 1st Thessalonians 5:17 to pray constantly. I know God has spoken some powerful and personal truths to me at my kitchen sink while I scrubbed dishes and prayed.

Another very important aspect of prayer is praise and thanksgiving. James 5:13 says “Is anyone among you suffering? He should pray. Is anyone cheerful? He should sing praises”. For me and for most of us I think it is usually both. There are things going on in life that are causing us to suffer and at the same time things that are bringing us joy. Let’s remember to give thanks for the many blessings as well as asking God to help with our suffering.


(3) (Seek My) face: The part of the human body that contains unique indentifying characteristics. A term used symbolic in the bible to express the presence of God.

God wants a personal relationship with me and you. He wants us to know Him, not just to know what He can do for us. The best way to learn about God is to read his Word. Just as in prayer there is so much information about how to read the Bible. There is most likely a reading plan in the front of back of your Bible. Go to a Bible study group or read by subject as it moves you. I don’t think there is a wrong way to read the Bible, just find what works.

(4) (Turn from) Evil: A force that opposes God and His work or righteousness in the world. The ultimate source of evil is Satan.

If we find ourselves suffering and we humble ourselves, pray, seek God’s face in order to find forgiveness we must get rid of that thing or act that has caused the suffering or we will end up right back were we started.

I am thankful that God is patient, loving and understanding. He does not want us to be perfect, just persistent. When we stumble, just get up and start again. God wants us to succeed and he promises to forgive our sin and enrich our lives with blessing.(“ …heal their land”).

Dear heavenly Father, thank you for loving me enough to forgive my sins and restore the richness of my life. Thank you for giving me You’re Word so I can seek Your face and praise You, not just ask what you can do for me. I ask that you give me eyes to see you, ears to hear you as I walk through life, so I can have your strength to walk the righteous path and resist the sinful path. In Jesus’ name Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment